Chris Tofu Avila

Chris Tofu Avila
Me portrayed as Saint Jerome (patron of librarians) by Matt Redden.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Passion

This past week, as I was working with my research partner, we began to discuss various life happenings. I told him about coming across an organization called TED (if you want to know more about TED, go to www.TED.com) and how I really appreciated their goal of spreading ideas across the world. In my mind, though, while I listen to different speakers posted on their website, I wonder, "Where is their community action?" or, "Where is their student section?" or, "Ideas are nice, but what is this leading to?" I could see that these people really are doing their work outside these lectures and present them to this body of people who will listen and spread their ideas, but is there really anything being done for the world? Are people stepping up to do something with these ideas they present?

As I shared these thoughts with my research partner, who also acts as a professor and mentor for me, I begin to express my love for this organization and their ideas, because more often than not, they are willing to say what needs to be heard. I applaud them for it for challenging the status quo that our society has built itself upon. From here, my research partner told me that THAT was my passion, to challenge the status quo.

After we finished our work and discussions for the day, I began to work with this thought that my passion centered and revolved around challenging the status quo. Now, for me, challenging the status quo doesn't mean that I am an anarchist or a radical, but rather that I like to question our current understandings and knowledge about all topics that many take for granted and see if they can stand up to the scrutiny that can be put forth, whether it be mine or someone else's. From there, if the status quo works and there is nothing to be done, then leave it be, BUT if there is room for change and improvement, then I want to act! I want the community, the nation, the world to act!!!

I realized a long time ago, though, that many people fear change; many people actually hate change. Many would rather sit back and ride the ride and not lift their voice when something doesn't agree. I like to believe these people who don't say anything help keep the number of controversies and wars to a minimum, but what about the injustices, the deaths, the extreme impoverished that suffer from a system that others reap benefits from? Are they supposed to just accept their fate? I want to say no, but what does that do? Where is the action?

I don't want to destroy society; I don't want to cause the oppressed to overcome and victimize their oppressors; I don't want to cause a war. I want the world to live together, work together, to listen to each other in order that living together may be possible.

This is my passion: to challenge the status quo for a better society and a brighter future.

What is your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment